Saturday 8 November 2014

Getting to know my object continued

Eventually found time to continue 'getting to know my object'.  Having been disappointed with how I had presented the first sketches in my sketch book decided to work on good quality watercolour paper for the second 'batch'.  These could then be mounted in the sketch book and be removed easily in order to extend and develop further if required.  They could also be mounted with space around each, thus giving them each a more visual identity.  I did not adhere so religiously to using Colin Crumplins 'Hommage a Queneau' images as reference.  Continuing working with ink only I produced a considerable number of sketches of further components of the oak tree, some of which are shown below.








The spontaneity and simplicity of this image really captures my imagination
This image was worked over and created using layers - very decorative!


I felt that I had created a diverse and interesting range of imagery using one media.  This exercise could be extended much further.  Perhaps I could produce a pamphlet book a la Colin Crumplin.  So far I have made approx. 36 sketches, so only another 64 to go! It has been a good starting point to this individual area of study.  Now I need to get in the studio and start the process and see where it leads - another new journey into the unknown.

Below are three experimental sketches using two colours of ink.  Created and presented horizontally I feel they evoke the atmosphere of the oak in Autumn when leaves are changing in colour and falling to the ground. These were created using various methods, blind monoprint, line drawing and overlaying of washes. Quite small in scale I feel they could be developed and extended on a large scale.





A couple of further sketches using ink.



 
This was an impromptu moving, accidental photograph of the sketch below  - interesting result.





No comments:

Post a Comment